With recent changes in County leadership it is critical we keep Oakland County Fiscally Strong as the state Jobs Engine. That is why I am running for the County Commission.
As Chairman of the state House Appropriations Committee, I helped balance the state budget twice, and got it done early, not last minute!
Before that I balanced the County budget by cutting spending without raising taxes, and by tackling legacy costs that bankrupted Detroit and GM, as Chair of the Finance Committee.
And before that, I balanced City of Birmingham budgets without raising taxes, protected homeowners’ rights, and helped make the successful Birmingham 2016 Plan, as City Commissioner, Mayor Pro Tem, and Mayor.
As your next County Commissioner I know keeping Oakland County as the best managed local unit of government in the Country will take work. I commit to use my experience keeping Oakland County Honest, Financially Strong, and Budget Balanced.
KEEP OAKLAND STRONG
WHY THE DOG ON ALL MY PRINT PIECES?
So why the little dog? Simple: That was a real dog, her name was Mimi. She was a rescue and became a wonderful friend, family member, and campaigner. Mimi loved parades, enjoyed riding in the convertible, and loved to walk with her head and tail high. And yes, she insisted sometimes on getting a ride! She lived with us until she was 16, then went over the Bridge where we hope to see her someday. Mimi was always happy to be with us, and I hope you will be too.
Our current dog (Pepper) is the 4th rescue we have been fortunate to have as part of our family.
I will work to protect Oakland County’s leadership by:
Keeping us the home to hundreds of top employers.
Balancing budgets on time and without raising taxes
Keeping Oakland government honest and clean
how you can help
Honest – Competent – Experienced
- Oakland County Commissioner and Chair of County Finance Committee. Balanced four budgets by cutting spending, without raising taxes. Tackled and paid off county legacy costs, maintained AAA bond rating.
- State Representative and Chairman of State Appropriations Committee that eliminated a $1 billion deficit. Balanced the budget four years in a row and saved the State almost $9 billion dollars in long-term legacy costs.
- Graduate, Michigan State University and University of Detroit Law School
- Attorney and Free Lance Writer
- Columnist Detroit News Editorial Page—1985-1996
- WXYT Radio Host—1993-1996
- Co-host Back-to-Back, TV 56—1996-1997
- Birmingham City Commission and Birmingham Mayor
- Adjunct professor, Oakland University—2012-2015